Friday, June 26, 2015

LOVE is LOVE




Today is a day that transcends gender, age, race and religion. 

Equality. 

The human birthright and yet we are still struggling to define it, to achieve it, to fulfill it. 

Today was one step closer on that journey.

I was speaking to a woman who like me is African American, but is a generation behind me.  I asked her what she thought of today and of equal rights for the LGBT community.  She thought for a moment and told me "I'm not sure.  I don't know how I feel about "them" being able to marry." 

After a long pause I told her there was a time when someone would say the same thing about about the both of us.  She asked what I meant and I politely explained that being we're both black there was a time when part of this country "wasn't sure" if we should vote, or get married,  or even be declared actual people for that matter.  I told her after fighting so long and so hard for those inalienble rights, for the right to love and be free there was no way I was going to close that particular door behind me.  In fact I'd fight for their rights just as much as my own because their struggle is and has been in many ways no different from my own - or from hers.  Her glare bore through me, there was a long silence and she finally said "that was different." 

I'm sorry she feels that way.  I'm overjoyed that the Supreme Court of the United States of America disagrees with her. 

The struggle continues, but today we're one step closer.








1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. Love is love and we need more of it, not social or legal restrictions on it.

    ReplyDelete